Kevin M. Smith, Headmaster August 22, 2014
It has been a very busy summer on campus. Last year, we actively engaged our community in conversation about advancing Roycemore. As a result of our partnership we enhanced campus security, improved our technology, started a Roycemore Family Association, increased funding and substantially increased professional development opportunities for our teachers.
As we constantly improve our programs and services, I am excited to share what is new this year on campus:
- A restructured Academic Leadership team so we can continue to advance academics, student support and management, and increase opportunities in clubs, athletics and other organizations–this includes the addition of a Dean of Students and the position of Coordinator of Student Life
- An enhanced lobby that will be a welcoming place for community, conversation and collaboration
- New course offerings that include AP Chemistry, Anatomy, Statistics, and Mandarin Chinese in our Upper School
- Improved technology in our multi-purpose room and library/media center that includes excellent sound amplification and high definition projection
- A new math curriculum in Grades 1-5
- New synthetic turf and improved fall zone protection on our playground
Roycemore School was established in 1915 with a noteworthy mission: to prepare young ladies for competitive Ivy League colleges, at a time when there were clear barriers for girls in particular. Our mission focus of excellent college preparation has remained constant, but has evolved to become coeducational and to be among the schools that best understand that all minds do not think alike. We pride ourselves in our ability to differentiate our approach so that our students’ individual characteristics and talents are revealed. Any student with the capacity to succeed in college would thrive in our school but our school in particular advances the notion that every student is a “big fish in our small pond.”
I am eagerly anticipating another excellent year–Roycemore’s 99th!